Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: Sometimes Called ‘Fresh Start’ Bankruptcy
Many debtors who plan to file for bankruptcy hope to qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. This type of bankruptcy can actually wipe out most or all consumer debts such as:
- Medical debt
- Revolving loans
- Credit card balances
- Payday loans
- Finance company loans
Are You Eligible?
To determine your eligibility to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you will need to take a means test and fulfill other legal requirements. Talk to me, debt relief lawyer Abe Limon, in Brownsville for advice on completion of the means test, which will examine:
- Your income
- The income of the average family of your size in Texas
- Your assets
- Your debts
- Your living expenses
Do not jump to conclusions about whether you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy before talking to an attorney. Your financial situation may show that Chapter 7 bankruptcy is appropriate for your circumstances. If not, you may decide to turn to Chapter 13 bankruptcy or explore bankruptcy alternatives such as debt settlement negotiations.
What To Expect If You File For Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
In a nutshell, the process leading to a Chapter 7 discharge will include:
- Taking the required means test with my firm Mr. Limon‘s help, and getting a “green light” result
- Completing credit counseling
- Inventorying assets and debts
- Filing a bankruptcy petition along with a court filing fee
- Experiencing immediate relief from creditor harassment
- A few weeks later, a brief interview with a bankruptcy trustee and you, in my presence
- If all goes well, a couple of months later, receipt in the mail of a discharge notice from the bankruptcy court
- A fresh start with great potential for rebuilding your credit
This short description is naturally simplified. Your bankruptcy lawyer will be your most important guide through all the steps needed for completion of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
For Many Debtors, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Is An Effective Path To A Fresh Start In Just A Few Months
I am Brownsville bankruptcy law attorney Abe Limon, and I am prepared to explain what you need to know to learn whether you are qualified, to prepare your petition, to accompany you to the Trustee interview and to make sure you have fulfilled all requirements. I will also inform you of options you may have, such as reaffirmation of a car loan. This may be important if you are up to date on your car payments and want to keep your car.
Call me at 956-465-2661 or email me to schedule a conversation with me. I am a South Texas bankruptcy lawyer who both lives and works in the Valley.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.